Tuesday, February 1, 2011

That 70's Recipe - Salmon Puff

Every once in awhile I get a craving for a childhood recipe... (with a little updating for the times) Since most of my younger years occurred between 1969 and 1983 (when I entered High School) that regulates a lot of my food memories in the 70's (sigh)    Not that 70's food was necessarily BAD in any way.  I mean, Fondue was popular in the 70's as were Swedish Meatballs, Flank steak in Mushroom Gravy, Lentil soup and Pineapple Upside Down Cake. At least, they were popular at my house during that time frame.  :) 

But one of those things that I remember very fondly, is Salmon Puff.  Not to be confused with Salmon Loaf, Salmon Puff is really more of one of the Egg-Strata things, with Salmon.  Chunks of bread soaked with beaten eggs and tossed with Salmon and Cheddar Cheese (Yeah I know, cheese and fish, but trust me, it's good)  Since I was going to "update" the recipe a little, I decided that all it really needed was some fresh parsley, instead of dried, and the addition of some sliced Leek (leek plays so well with most flavors)

Needless to say, I was quite pleased with the results.  It may not be pretty, but it sure is tasty.  Total comfort food.  LOL

Salmon Puff

5 Slices of white bread (or about 1/2 a French long); crust removed
1 1/2 oz Leek, minced  
2 TB fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
1 cup canned Salmon (avoid the red salmon)
3 Large Eggs
1 1/2 cups Milk
3/4 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp cracked Black Pepper
1 cup (4 oz) Medium Cheddar, shredded

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
So, cut a French long in half (I am using the other half for Swedish Meatballs tomorrow)

Remove the crust.

Cut into cubes and place in a bowl.

Add Leeks, Parsley and Salmon; tossing briefly

Whisk Eggs, Milk, Mustard Powder, Salt Paprika and Black Pepper together in a medium bowl.

Pour the mixture over the bread and toss again, gently.

Add the Cheddar Cheese and toss again, gently.

Pour the whole mess into a 7 x 10 baking dish.

Bake for 45 minutes, until it "puffs". (yes, normally a strata is allowed to soak over night in the refrigerator, but I am hungry)  LOL

Don your Bell Bottoms or a Leisure Suit and enjoy!

Mangia!!
~~

1 comment:

The Moon Muse said...

Looks great Shane! I am going to have to give that a try with some of my salmon sitting in the freezer.